Sunday, July 21, 2013

Contemporary fiction or Romance?

Now that a few reviews have trickled in since the release of my second novel one of my artistic insecurities have has come to the surface once more. I'm having a hard time deciding whether I’m a contemporary fiction writer or a romance writer. One usually doesn't want to pigeonhole oneself, but having come from a screenwriting background the only way I learned to write fiction novels was to read other authors. My cousin, Monique Gilmore-Scott, had several romance novels out so I used her books as my blueprint.

It seems like there is little room for overlap in the African American lit category so the two genres are usually clearly defined by Terry McMillan, Walter Mosley, and Eric Jerome Dickey on the contempo side and Zane and Brenda Jackson on the romance side. Although Black male authors are apparent in the urban fiction category few dared to enter the realm of romance. Clearly, a void exists in romance genre in regards to male authors, so an opportunity to distinguish myself in a wide open niche seemed optimistic. So I constantly find myself in a state of flux between “telling like it is” and lavishly and lasciviously” telling it like it is”.


The reason I’m such a fan of Iceberg Slim’s writing is because of his ability to tell the story clearly, succinctly, and honestly, while still buttering it up with the flowery street vernacular of a pimp. Hopefully readers will be able to tell the difference between gratuitous sex and the gratuitous sex Dapper participates in as a reflection of his personal demons. In others words, its deeper than what appears on the surface. So what would you consider me, contemporary fiction or romance? 




No comments:

Post a Comment