Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Women HATE cheaters!



      It's humorous to me how women in particularly have responded to my book Dapper Carter’s 8 Rules of Dating.  I have read comments such as: "the way Dapper treats women was totally offensive to me even if this was a work of fiction," or "in fact while reading the first few chapters I wanted to put it away just because I couldn't stand the insults towards ALL women."    What's interesting to me is that of the fifty or so reviews I've had over thirty have been 5 star reviews and another twelve have been 4 stars.  Two 3 star ratings and one 2 star.  The only low ratings I received were from non-African American readers.  I find it interesting to see the disparagement between African-American reviews and non African-American reviewers. 

     During the 8 months that my book has been out i have found that Black women totally love my book and its honesty whether they know me personally or not.  White women who know me personally like my book.  And white women who don't know me at all hate my book!  lol

     My guess is that it has to be the language.  I don't think non Blacks are use to hearing the words nigga and bitch thrown around as freely as Black women are.  And they seem to be genuinely offended.  I'm not saying that either of these words is acceptable but unfortunately my people have learned to use both as terms of endearment at times and tools of hatred as well.

     I also catch an earful when it comes to the opening of the book and Dapper's dogged ways.  I always say if you get past the first three chapters then you will love my book.  Unbeknownst to the reader Dapper Carter's 8 Rules of Dating was conceived as a film idea and movie script first.  The first rule of screenwriting is that the opening ten minutes has to hook the viewer.  Novels normally don't start out with such a bang opting to build character and story more slowly.  However, I had to present Dapper as sooo unlikeable for the reader to be able to sympathize, empathize, and eventually root for our protagonist to find Love.

     I've found that all women HATE cheaters!  And its a delicate tightrope to walk when the lead character of your story is a cheating male and you're trying to gain female approval.  I guess I will have to continue to do what has worked for me thus far and write relentlessly honest and from the heart.  Hopefully my characters will be recognized as flawed and imperfect individuals just as we are and acknowledged for their attempt to achieve personal growth in each story.  No one is all good nor is anyone all bad.  We're just the good, the bad, and the ugly.







No comments:

Post a Comment