Saturday, March 9, 2013

Can others sense your desperation when you're playing the dating game?


Just like its easier to get a job when you already have a job it’s easier to get a date when you already have a date.  When you’re not in the dating flow it seems that people can pick up on the energy that you are out of the loop looking in. 

One of the themes of Dapper Carter’s 8 Rules of Dating is how people can sense your desperation when you are trying to date again.  It’s like they have a sixth sense that you’re not getting any play.  Dapper had to incorporate strict rules into his dating experience in order not to be took advantage of.  His rules were (1) not to talk too much, (2) go somewhere cheap on a first date because you may not see this person again, (3)f we’re friends we can split the check but if we’re having sex then I'm paying, if you’re at my house after midnight then we’re having sex (its like feeding a gremlin), treat the hos like queens and treat the queens like hos (that goes for both men and women), never have threesomes with people you care about, the only thing better than cookies are new cookies, and whatever it is you’re looking for from a relationship that’s what you have to give in a relationship.  My personal favorite is rule number three.  I had found myself in the position far more often than I liked where I would hear “Alan I like you as a friend” but yet and still I was always the one reaching in my pocket.  If we’re friends no problem, then we should be able to go Dutch once in a while, right?  But if we are actually sleeping together than I had no qualms springing for the meal.  It was the least I could do.

I don’t think people take advantage of other people with any malicious intent but if you put yourself in that position then its buyer beware.  Are you the only one paying for meals?  Do you only get booty called late at night?  It’s up to you to put a spending cap on dinners, time limit on late night visits, and address the boundaries of your friendship with the other person.  Sometimes you're the pigeon and sometimes you're the statue.

A lot of us have done the “taking advantage of” thing whether it be accepting a free dinner or drinks with no intentions of furthering the relationship or blowing a person off because they are too interested and too available.  Not to mention many of us have gotten the short end of the stick and been on the bottom of the dating totem pole committing dating faux paux’s of over eagerness, lack of confidence, volunteering too much personal info too soon, and lack of common sense.

If anyone has funny dating experiences (I'm sure it wasn’t funny at the time) in which you feel like you played the sucker and was taken advantage of let us know.


No comments:

Post a Comment